Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Taco Seasoning (not from a packet)

I was craving taco salad something fierce!  Taco Bell wasn't an option, so I decided to make one at home.  Being that I like to eat clean, I wanted an alternative to picking up a taco seasoning packet that may be full of added ingredients I can't pronounce.  So here is the taco seasoning I tweaked from a recipe I found:

~1 Tbsp. chili powder
~3/4 Tbsp. cumin
~1/2 Tbsp. onion powder
~1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
~1 tsp. oregano
~Dash of paprika
~ 1/4-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

This is enough seasoning for 1 lb. of your ground meat of choice.  I think my favorite is organic, grass-fed beef.  Using ground (white) turkey is tasty, too!  Let the meat brown, mix in the seasoning, add a small amount of water to help mix things together (a couple of Tbsp.), and let it all get happy for a few minutes.

I enjoy shredded lettuce, organic black beans, a good serving of meat, diced cherry tomatoes, guacamole, and caramelized onions in my salad.  Aside from the beans it fits my paleo/primal plan.  No cheese or sour cream needed, I promise it's that good!  If you want to be adventurous, eat the meat and guacamole on fresh jicama slices instead of tortilla chips.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment